Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Beet And Bleu Salad.... DEEE.LISH!

Whoa Chickies! I am so darn proud of myself.......I HAVE to brag a little bit.... Now, to say I am NOT the Queen of my Kitchen is understatement, but I've won the battle of the yummy salad.


It will go down in history!


I talked about having a similar salad in my last post, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. After poking around on the net, peeking at other folk's recipes, I whipped up my very own Beet and Bleu.


My Hubbs said it was MUCH bettah than the one at the restaurant. Now, I'll take a compliment about my cooking ANY day.... especially since it doesn't happen very often. :-)


If you love beets, you're gonna be crrrrrazy about this salad. And, if you haven't tried beets in a long, long time, give them another try, you might discover something new, for you!


So, here's what I did.


I roasted my beets in the oven, with the skins on them. I did cut off both ends and drizzled them with a smidge of olive oil. It took about two hours @ 350 degrees. You'll want to be able to test them with a knife for tenderness. Mine were much more done than the restaurant and we thought that made them a lot sweeter. Mmmmmm.


Then I toasted some pecans in a skillet with a smidge of oil.... it really brings out the flavor and they were soooo good.


Then I popped some onions (not enough) into that pan (without the pecans) and sauteed them until they were brown. Then added just a teeny bit of sugar to allow them to caramelize.


I peeled the beets and cut them into about one inch cubes and put them on top of mixed spring greens .......... added the bleu cheese, pecans and onions.


You don't want to toss this around because the beets will bleed. Not pretty..... You don't want a salad that looks like it's bleeding! Yikes!


I just used a bit of olive oil with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar and a clove of garlic for the dressing......and drizzled it over the top.


Seeeeee.........you can tell I don't cook too much, right? No measurements at all.... It's just how I roll. And, it was awesome........



I think my Hubbs loves me again. :-)



Have a wonderful day!



Huggies,

Spencer


10 comments:

  1. Well, I'm proud of you for your efforts. This sure sounds delish, so I'm giving you your props! YUM!

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Love this recipe because I love beet salad and get it whenever I can. I also use fresh beets for juicing and they do splatter and stain. Thanks for sharing this.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now girly this sounds fabulous and not too hard. I'm sooo going to try it and I'll let you know how it comes out!

    How you be???? And how is your grandboy-babe? :)

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks so yummy.
    Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! Your recipe looks
    and sounds soooo good!!
    I love beets and I love everything else
    that you put in your salad ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary TO you & may God bless you with many more!

    Have missed you so ... glad you had a marvelous time. So love Long Beach, many fond memories when we lived in WA ST. I love the relaxing waves & fresh air, so peaceful.

    Harold would LOVE that recipe so I may grace him with this salad ... if he is a good fella! Chuckle!

    Got 100+ geraniums out of the ground, into pots & under the lights in the garage for the winter today. First frost tonight & snow this weekend. Crazy weather here this year.
    Love you, Spencer. Have a beaetiful weekend.
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious! I will HAVE to try and I agree, it does feel nice to get complimented! ^.^

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful Spencer!! I am going to have to get the Commander to try it!

    Happy Friday!
    Love,
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds wonderful! I love salads of all kinds. Vegetables, noodle, potato and any I may not have tried yet. This looks really good. Well one. Hugs. tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this sounds great! I have never made my own beet salad, however beets are one of my favorites....I hope to grow them in my garden next year.....I am a follower of your blog and hope you hop over to mine to join me also.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet and dear little Chickies....thank you so much for your comments. I read each and every one. I always try to make a return visit........sometimes I fail miserably... but you're alllll soooo special to me!

Many, many hugs!
Spencer