Friday, March 13, 2009

Just Look At What A Thrifty Girl Will Do!

It's Show and Tell Friday, hosted by Kelli over at There's No Place Like Home.

I'd love to add her link, but every time I try to add one I mess up the whole post. Her address is kellishouse.blogspot.......so sorry about that! :-)

Look for "There's No Place Like Home" on my list of Beautiful Inspirations.....

Can you see my beautiful Villeroy and Boch crystal candlesticks? I LOVE them.... :-)

We were in Victoria, Canada when the Villeroy and Boch store was closing and I got them half-price.........woooooohoooooo!

Now........how does one MAKE a bell jar???







First of all, I LOVE bell jars..........and secondly I'm ever so thrifty and I'm always willing to give a creative (read: cheap) idea a shot, so here we are with a homemade bell jar.

Quite the simple little item actually. Start with one of those out-of-date candle holders. These are the ones that are supposed to "hang" in those iron stands? Using a bit of E6000 glue, add a button to the top (actually the bottom) of the candle holder. You'll need this to balance the little glass cutie on top. Step 2........add the egg. Does it really get any easier than that? I've actually made two of these......I'm thinking they're the perfect thing for Easter! So, give it a go.......you'll find lots of these glass do-hickeys at the thrift store; who knows what happened to the little metal stands???

It will cost about three dollars, so that's quite a savings and you can say you made it yourself!

End of Tutorial! :-)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Warm hugs and blessings,
Spencer

11 comments:

  1. Way to be creative! I know I have a thing for bell jars or cloches now too.
    Linda Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! Happy Show and Tell Friday. Here's mine.
    http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a grand idea, I love it. I had similar thoughts but couldn't figure out what was need to carry it out. Very lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying for the second time to post. I really like your bell jar idea, lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your beautiful treasures!!! I love the Bell Jars!!!!Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a splendid idea! I love bell jars, and never would have thought of crafting my own. Your display looks so lovely, and your candlesticks are spectacular. What a score! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very creative. I love your bell jars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Spencer...nice to meet you. I took the time and read through your blog. We are kindred spirits as I am not a minamalist either! You found some great items. I would love to see more of your home. Hope you come back for a visit sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Spencer! Thanks so much for your nice comment on my 'show & tell' post. Your s & t is so beautiful and smart! Love your idea for the bell and the great tutorial. :) And isn't Victoria wonderful? My hubby and I went there for our honeymoon and our 25th wedding anniversary. And so neat about the 'Jax' coincidence. That's been my nickname since I was a little girl, when my dad started calling me that. Have a blessed weekend! ~ Jax

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I have worked for a very famous Candle Company for many years...I happen to have many, many, many of these out of date candle holders. YAY!!! Now, I can repurpose them!!!! I love this idea...

    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

Sweet and dear little Chickies....thank you so much for your comments. I read each and every one. I always try to make a return visit........sometimes I fail miserably... but you're alllll soooo special to me!

Many, many hugs!
Spencer