Monday, January 18, 2010

The Good, The Thrilling..........And The Downright YUKKY!


Hello my little sweets!

No, I didn't drop off the face of the earth...........I can't believe it's been more than a week since my last post........I've been one horrible blogger, haven't I?

Things have even changed on Blogger since I last posted.  Was there an e-mail with the new instructions that I missed?  YIKES!  I HATE learning new technology.




So, here's my story.........

Get a cup of coffee and kick back........this is one heck of a long story.

Well, first of all I know you little dearhearts know that I started blogging to help ease the pain of losing my sweet Mummy.........and that I wasn't moving forward on ANYTHING for a whole year.

There's a nice little Health Food Store not too far from my house that was offering a lecture for people of "my sort"......I am ALWAYS all over anything like that, so I zipped myself right over to that little class.  WOW!  I learned some great stuff from the sweet little Life Coach....Josie.  And, she offered a free one hour private appointment to anyone, at the class, who would like to partake.......and partake I DID!  She helped me set up a little map to help me make a plan, stick to it and GET A REWARD!  I'm alllll about the reward system.  Oh yes, that's right up my alley.

I actually ended up talking with Josie for about an hour and a half, left our meeting and came home and whipped up the cover for the daybed and bolster pillows for the den!!!!!!  I was so thrilled with myself......

Our agreement was that I would sew the cover for the daybed, measure for the curtains and cut out the bolsters so I was way ahead of my little schedule.  Isn't that great?

Ok, so now I'm on a roll!  And, feeling much more motivated and ready to move along.  I'd like to get the darn spring cleaning done while it's still spring this year!

I always finish all the sewing first so I don't have to stop and make things while I'm cleaning AND it gives me inspiration to continue.    :-)


So, here's the thrilling part...

I've mentioned before that back in the 80's I had a love affair with BLUE.  I did my entire house in blue.  Different blues, mind you, but BLUE, just the same.  EVERY ROOM.  It didn't take long and I sooooooooooooo HATED blue.  I swore I would never use it again.  NEVER.

Well, obviously many years have passed since the 80's and I started loving it again.

I decided that I would do my bedroom in blue this year.  That clean, yummy Scandanavian blue.

My sweet and adorable hubbs is a salesman.  You may have noticed the economy hasn't been so good lately?  Yes, that did effect our little family so I had to figure out how to do this little re-do on a shoestring.  No problem!  There are loads of thrift stores around here and I decided my budget for the whole re-do would be $100.

I can do this.    :-)

See that yummy little stack of blues?  Oh yes.......I was on a roll.  That buffalo check?  Yes, that would be my very favorite.  I was so thrilled I nearly did cartwheels in St. Vinnie's!!!  It's an Ikea duvet.  Four yards of 80" wide fabric for TWO DOLLARS!  Perfect condition.  Ahhhh.....  Isn't God soooo darn good?  One of these days I'll tell you my carpet story but this post is already going to be a book, so I'll hold that thought.






See it there?  OH SO pretty.  It makes me soooo happy.

The blue and white stripe on the bottom is the backside of a Pottery Barn duvet.  It was 4.99.  The front was so beachy-cottage-y....DARLING....but not in my plan.   :-)

The little blue check is a JC Penney sheet........    3.99

The top two fabrics are blue sheets as well........   3.99 each.

I was so hoping for more of that Ikea duvet fabric.  It's by far my fav. 

UNBELIEVABLE.........I walked into the Goodwill........and there was a KING sized duvet.......never used. No kidding?  I nearly cried I was so excited. 

I'll need lots of yardage........curtains, pillows, dust ruffle.....and then the bathroom window, sink and shower curtain.  I was in HEAVEN.  I couldn't sleep I was so excited.......dreaming up my plan.

Remember I said The Good, The Thrilling and the Downright YUKKY?

The first duvet had been used and I'm sure washed many times.  It was slightly lighter than the new one.  No problem.  I'll wash the new one.  Hmmmm....still a bit darker. 

I'll wash it again.

Still a bit darker.

Ok......I'll add a teensie bit of bleach.

Still a bit darker.

Ok.....one more try.......just a touch of bleach.





 How the heck can this happen?

Now, you'd think it could possibly get bleach hot spots.........it could turn out too light.......

But THIS?  What the heck?

I wanted to throw myself on the floor and kick my feet while screaming at the top of my lungs.


And, it HAD to be the bigger duvet too. 



Nuts.




Why didn't I just leave well enough alone?



I could have used the darker one for the bedroom and the lighter one for the bath.




Trust me when I say the difference was so slight no one would have noticed.


I've searched the internet.  I've looked in alllll of the local thrift stores.


My darling hubbs even drove me to the Seattle Ikea in search of replacement.  Yeah........you guessed it........they don't carry that duvet anymore.


Now I'm going to have to be VERY creative to stretch that happy little check.


Have you ever ruined something you were sooooo thrilled to find?


Several years ago I had been out shopping and saw a parking lot sale at an apartment building......Hmmmmmm.........Maybe better stop, right?

OH MY GOSH.......most of it was "why didn't you throw this stuff in the dumpster"???....but when I got to the last little table it was a dear little German older lady.  Her table was LOADED with the most exquisite vintage china I've EVER seen.  It was DIRT CHEAP!

I spent about twenty dollars for two large bags full.

I smiled to myself all the way home.  I couldn't believe my good fortune.

I drove in the driveway, thrilled to share my finds with the hubbs.


While I was standing there squealing with delight I changed my bags to the other hand.....dropped both bags and broke every single piece.

Weeping at the memory.




I hope this little post finds you all well and happy.


I've missed you soooo much.


Thanks for waiting for me!


Huggies and Lovies!

Spencer


xoxoxoxoxox








35 comments:

  1. OMG. Spencer, what a story. I can't believe all the situations that happened to you. You tell it so well, sweet one. I think that what ever you turn out doing, it is going to be lovely and very special because of what you had to go through to obtain the desired results!!!! Ihave to say, that was a well told, well written story and i love the part when you talk about adding bleach, more bleach, a eensy weensy more and them BAM! You show the picture. Oh, that had to be so disappointing. And then the china.....Ihope you find another great, but unbreakable and perfectly colored find very soon!!! Bisous and thank you for coming to visit, I missed your posts!Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... You certainly have been busy!! Great post....
    Love,
    Marilyn
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear, Spencer! ♥

    Thanks for sharing your life with us! We can all learn so much from each other! My little philosophy is that nothing is wasted. Our triumphs, our mistakes and even life's most embarrassing moments. They all add up to who we are, who we are becoming and who others can become!

    I've been there with the Blue! My living room carpet was Blue, the kitchen cabinets were painted blue, all my dishes were blue and my... No need to go on! ☺ I still like blue but I'm trying to keep it in moderation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Spencer,
    I'm so glad that you are back, I always love to hear what you have to say.
    Yes, I've had some goofs myself. I found a gorgeous vintage pink nightgown at GW. I planned to put it in my booth for a display.
    Well, I washed it and it needed a little pressing. I scorched it with the iron!!!#%##@!
    I was sick and still am.
    But the other finds you nabbed are just great and I'm sure your bedroom is gonna look perfectly beautiful.
    I found a beautiful glass bowl one day and dropped in right in the middle of the garage floor and smashed it to smithereens!

    Oh well, we just have to keep looking.

    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cupcake!! I love blue in my clothing, but not so much in decorating unless it's chambray, ticking, or evokes images of the sea!! But I am delighted that you found things you love! And I'm so very sad for the loss and altered states of your great finds.
    :o( hmmmph! I found this hoody type long sleeve shirt that I loved in a great medium coral color, and as soon as I got it home I reached for the scissors to cut the tag off the end of the left sleeve, and you guessed it, cut a hole right through it!!! I felt like such a DORK!! Well, I kept it and still wear it, but when you do something like that is can be so disheartening, can't it? Well, chin up gal! You are MOTIVATED AND INSPIRED and you are not going to let a couple of unfortunate events squelch your joy, creativity or goals!!!
    No~~sir~~ee!!! Onward and upward!! Can't wait to see the beauty you create!!

    Have a JOYFUL day!! So glad you're back, Spencer!!
    Love you,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy you are feeling motivated and energized to put yourself into your projects. Can't wait to see the end results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have faith that you will find a replacement - even better than what you had. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh.....that is terrible! I think we all have similar horror stories. Keep us posted on your progress. I do love the blues!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you have accepted the good and the bad...it's good to just let it go. The other fabrics are gorgeous and I am sure your creations will be too.

    So sorry about the china. Thank goodness you got a deal on it. I hope you find another big happy deal soon to cheer you up!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your post, so cute and what a bummer about the duvet...maybe just get a white one to go with all the blue I guess....lol..I did stop by and picked up your button, come on over for a visit and you can pick up mine..I think I got lost from your girlie list, hope you find me, I so love to read and do enjoy your posts,,,hyllis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well since it has already been bleached out, and i guess you could say ruined, just get some blue dye and dye it.. See what happens. It cant be any worse for ware. YOu may even be surprised.. Keep the faith.. Things always work out.. You will see. huggggggggggggs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the story. Not so much the outcomes though. I could just feel my heart sink a couple of times just reading the mishaps. But life goes on and you are certainly staying busy. You are doing all the fun things!!!

    I had to chuckle. I had a love affair with blue in the 80's and like you I got sick of it but you guessed it, I am loving blue again. I think one of the reasons is that there are some stunning blues out there these days. They aren't your 80's blues. Well keep us posted.
    Hugs, Sue
    P.S. I have been a bad blogger myself. I have a teensy excuse though. I had the flu all last week. It did give me time to think my blog and what to post though!!! :) :) :) Now if I can just find the time :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh Spencer..you are doing good girl..deals of all sorts..and you know..fabric boo-boos and such..we all do them...
    a great catch-up post to read..

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! You are so funny, Spencer. I really enjoyed this post, so entertaining but I am so sorry for what happened to the duvet. Good luck on your project. I can't wait to see it all finished....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally relate! These things happen to me too. I decided Sunday to do a super cleaning of the house and have spent the next 2 days nursing an allergy head cold!! What great reward for cleaning. I knew there was some reason I didn't do it! I hope you get a good solution for your cover!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Spencer, I missed you while you were gone! I had to smile reading your post as I can so relate to what you did!! I sure hope that you can find a replacement! Hugs, Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back Spencer we have missed you.... Love all the gorgeous blue fabric.. glad to have you back,,, and you are doing well,,,,, ok except for the fabric mess up..... (sorry).... have a great week..

    Hugs;
    Alaura

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was quite a story and adventure. sorry about the bleaching problem. things happen in life, ask yourself if this will matter in a month or two. probably not.
    Blessings and cheer up!
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is my first visit to your blog. i came on over from cherrys jubilee. i feel so sorry for you. the Lord is good and He will bless you with more treasures :) if you still have that broken china you can use them to make some garden mosaics like stepping stones,mosaic a bird bath or mirror.they are still treasures. i have enjoyed your blog and my visit and will be back to visit you again :)take care!
    blessings,
    aimee

    ReplyDelete
  20. You must have been so frustrated! I can just imagine you opening that washing machine lid. I guess the idea is to look on the VERY bright side at all the things that did turn out. You got some beautiful finds and I can not wait to see the room transformed. We will get to see it won't we?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh spencer i feel your pain. Totally something i would do.Is it the whole thing or can you cut out that part and maybe mix another with it? mishelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Spencer,
    Bless your heart...I'm sure I have been there before with all of my antics, I mean my nickname is "Lucy". Your makeover will be fabulous and you will pull it off because we get that sheer determination. Thanks so much for stopping by and if you don't mind, I'm adding you to my sidebar because I found your sweet house a year or so ago on RMS and thought it was adorable. I'ts nice to meet you.

    LeAnn:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow!!
    Great story!!
    I'm sure your makeover will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry for your fabric mishap, but I know the bedroom redo will be spectacular anyway. I love blue and white color schemes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry Spencer! How tragic. I've messed up all kinds of things due to my clumsiness. It's legendary I tell you! Oh and don't let me near knives... I'm lucky to have all my fingers LOL

    xoxo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  26. G'eve, Sweetie ~ Can totally relate. One day our DIL gave us a crystal vase that I disliked so I took it to the store,bought one I liked ... neither were cheap ... then came home, set them both out, tried to work with them ... decided to take them ALL back to the store ... just a gentle tap on the side of the car! Wrong!! I lost a few hundred $$$ in (2) expensive pieces of crystal & now had to buy a 3rd exact duplicate of the original gift ... oy!

    Hugs, Marydon

    PS Make a change on your settings & follow me on the new blog ~
    blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was so happy for you then so sad! I will keep my eyes peeled for a replacement. You never know, maybe one of us bloggers can help you out!!! I'm sure it's going to work out fine and you will have an even better story to tell...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just found your blog. I love those blue fabrics! So sorry you messed up but you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Spencer...I was riveted by your story! It was bad enough about the blue check getting bleached to that odd color, but then when you got to the broken dish part...and you "changed hands" I literally screamed in horror! I was right there with you! I'm not over it yet either...still thinking "I don't believe it! Every dish was broken?!" Darn! (and that's putting it mildly!)
    What can I say after I've said "I'm sorry!!!"
    Soooo glad you are back. A..blogger email? Blogger has changed? Grief! What have I missed?!!
    Thank you so much for the sweet compliment about my little granddaughter. I'm trying to think what you might have meant about the tags on the lid. Tie them on? ARGGGGG That lid is driving me nuts. I'm going to put it away and stop staring at it!
    Hugs back attacha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Spencer, did you get my comment?? I can't find it...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Spencer sweetie...
    You know no matter what it will turn out to be a dream for you, you will see. Why not try to bleach out the other piece to match? Leave well enough alone? I don't know, combine the two?

    I can't wait to see what you do, because I know whatever it is, it will be beautiful. You have such wonderful seamstress hands of beauty.

    Thank you for sharing sweetie. And the china bag dropping? Been there, done that. Ya take those pieces and make yourself a mosiac, and dream about what once was, and now is something else.

    I love it. Have a beautiful day sweetie.
    Country hugs...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  32. G'morn, sweetie ~ TY for capturing my button, that means a lot to me. Have a beautiful day.
    Hugs, TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love blue and the selection you have chosen for your MB. Sorry about your mishap, I had some tableclothes do that one time for no reason. I didn't even use bleach. Same check turned blue and pink.
    You will have enough with the others to make a great room.
    Will look forward to coming back to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow Spencer that stinks about the fabric! I had that happen once too, weird color change! For about two months every time I turn around I'm breaking something! Tonite, did it again! Gee! Take care dearie! Love ya,Lori

    ReplyDelete

Sweet and dear little Chickies....thank you so much for your comments. I read each and every one. I always try to make a return visit........sometimes I fail miserably... but you're alllll soooo special to me!

Many, many hugs!
Spencer